- Artwork printed by EPSON Stylus Pro 7880 (Epson Ultra Chrome K3 Vivid Magenta) on canvas.
- Limited edition prints of 100.
- Each limited edition artwork will be individually printed, signed, dated and numbered by the artist Vladimir Zunuzin.
- Art Prints packaged in a plastic tube.
- © zunuzin.com watermark is only used online and does not appear on your print.
- Will usually ship within 3-5 business days.
- Free worldwide shipping with tracking.
- We send prints to all countries via Registered Airmail, they usually arrive within 35 working days to destinations within Western Europe and about 45 working days to destinations outside Europe.
- Payments by Paypal or 2Checkout.
Buy art print Purification of the Temple (El Greco Improvisation) in my store
History of the Purification of the Temple by El Greco
In the time of Christ, the porch of the Temple in Jerusalem accommodated a market for buying sacrificial animals and changing money. Christ drove out the traders, saying, 'It is written "My house shall be called a house of prayer"; but you make it a den of thieves.' (Matthew 20). This episode is known as the Purification of the Temple.
The picture is dominated by the figure of Christ, poised to unleash his whip. On the left are the traders and on the right are the Apostles. In the 16th century the subject of the Purification of the Temple was used as a symbol of the Church's need to cleanse itself both through the condemnation of heresy and through internal reform.
The reliefs in the background allude to the themes of punishment and deliverance. On the left Adam and Eve's expulsion from Paradise prefigures the Purification of the Temple, and on the right, the Sacrifice of Isaac prefigures Christ's death as the source of redemption.
El Greco painted the subject several times throughout his career, both in Italy and in Spain. This version, with its strong colours and elongated forms, was probably painted in Toledo in about 1600. Via